dimanche, octobre 18, 2009

Beautiful Linlithgow Palace

On my last visit to Scotland, I made a point of paying a visit to Linlithgow Palace, not far from Edinburgh. Linlithgow Palace is an important centre of Scottish history. Mary Stuart was born there, in 1542. It would have been a magnificent building, with many chambers, intricate sculptures, a brewery and a lavish lawn. But it's now reduced to a skeleton with bare walls and open roofs.
I loved it !

Mary Queen of Scots was born in this very room.

On the day of my visit, a tatoo (a display of music and dances with bagpipes and drums galore), was organized on the premises.


The town of Linlithgow commemorates Mary Queen of Scots with a pub called The Four Marys, aka the famous queen and her ladies-in-waiting.

2 commentaires:

nmj a dit…

I have never been to Linlithgow, which is ridiculous! I must rectify this soon. You get a good view of the palace from the Edin/Glas train.

Pepette a dit…

We visited the castle a couple of years ago and I loved it too!
We even had food in the Four Marys :)